April 28th, 2016
Whether you’ve lost your front teeth due to an injury or an oral disease, dental implants can give you your full smile back again. Dental implants are the best solutions available for missing teeth. Not only do they look just like your natural teeth, but they also keep you from developing other serious oral issues that come with missing your front teeth. Let’s take a look at how exactly a dental implant can fix your front teeth now.
What’s Wrong With Having a Missing Front Tooth?
Missing one or both of your front teeth isn’t the best look in the world and you can’t really hide a missing front tooth. If that’s not enough to get you to fix your dental problem, there are other serious health issues that come along with missing a tooth as well.
If you don’t replace a missing tooth or teeth with an implant, and instead choose removable dentures or no fix at all, you may experience issues with eating, pain and jawbone loss. Since you’re missing a tooth, you will likely not be able to eat normally, and may experience pain from your exposed gum. Even more serious, you may lose jawbone volume. Implants are the only restorative dental solution that stops jawbone loss by allowing your bone to grow tightly around the implant.
How Exactly Do Dental Implants Help With Missing Front Teeth?
Dental implants help in a variety of ways. Here are just a few of the most common ways a dental implant can benefit your mouth if you’re missing a front tooth:
- They creating a replica of your missing tooth that looks and acts just like your natural teeth. Implants are strong, stable and last for a lifetime.
- While other treatments don’t fuse with your jawbone, osseointegration (fusing) occurs between your dental implants and your jawbone so that your bone tissue grows tightly around your implant.
- They provide you with a healthy and normal bite.
- Dental implants can’t develop cavities like normal teeth. But you still need to clean and take care of implants just like you would your natural teeth.
What’s the Dental Implant Procedure Like?
If you’re getting a front tooth implant at Water Tower Dental Care, you will typically be treated in our office and be placed under local anesthesia or another kind of sedation. The dental implant procedure typically occurs like this:
- First, your dentist will place a titanium post into your jawbone. This replaces to the tooth’s root.
- The post will fuse with your jawbone as your mouth heals, just like a root would. This keeps you from dealing with serious dental issues that occur with other treatments for missing teeth, like dentures. The osseointegration process could take weeks or even months.
- When your dentist sees that the osseointegration, or fusion, between your jawbone and the implant is successful, he or she will secure an abutment to the top of your dental implant. This abutment will connect the replacement tooth to the post.
- Finally, the replacement front tooth will be secured to the abutment, and you will have a full set of front teeth again.
If you have a missing front tooth, you should seriously consider dental implant surgery to prevent any further issues from occurring. Our dentists at Water Tower Dental Care are dental implant experts. Contact us today to find out more about how a dental implant can help your specific case of missing teeth!