While people usually focus on keeping their teeth pearly white, your gums should not be overlooked. Even if your teeth are as healthy as they can be, your gums may not be free from disease. As gum disease is usually painless, it often goes unnoticed. Gum disease, however, is treatable and the damage can fortunately be reversed. Learn more about gum disease and treatments at home to prevent your gums from looking like this!
Gum Disease: What is it?
Gum disease is caused by plaque buildup. Without proper oral hygiene, plaque can build up along your gum line and ravage your teeth! Gingivitis will cause your gums to become inflamed, red and swollen, making your gums prone to bleeding when you brush. Periodontitis is an advanced form of gum disease, damaging the bones that hold your teeth in place.
Signs You May Have Gum Disease!
According to the American Dental Association, signs you may have gum disease include:
- Bad breath
- Receding gums
- Swollen/red gums
- Gums that bleed easily
- Tooth loss
Home Treatments for Gum Disease
While nothing can replace visiting the dentist, if you have experienced any of the symptoms related to gum disease, there are home remedies that can help to keep your gums healthy.
- Hydrogen Peroxide: This chemical works as an agent to kill germs and fight gum disease. Mix the 3% solution with water and wash out your mouth once a day to help treat gum disease
- Oil pulling: In this method, oil pulls toxins right out of your mouth! Swish an organic oil such as sesame seed oil around your mouth once a day, until it turns milky, then spit it out. This should get your gums in tip top shape in no time! Learn more about oil pulling here.
- Aloe Vera: This plant has great natural inflammatory properties. Swish some aloe vera juice around your mouth, or rub some aloe vera gel on your gums to help reduce swelling and gum disease.
- Garlic and Turmeric Toothpaste: With both foods having natural antibacterial properties, making and using a garlic and turmeric toothpaste is a great home remedy to gum disease.
- Drinking Green tea: Besides being good for the body, green tea has natural antioxidants that will help reduce gum inflammation.
- Warm saltwater rinse: Saltwater can help reduce inflammation and kills deadly bacteria, Check out more of the benefits of saltwater
Along with these home treatments for keeping your gums healthy, you should visit a dentist if you experience gum disease symptoms. Let Water Tower Dental Care take care of you. Learn about some of our treatments.
Ways to Prevent Gum Disease and Keep your Gums Healthy
Gum disease can be prevented with good oral hygiene. Here are a few ways you can prevent gum disease on your own at home, before you even have to worry!
- Floss Daily, Brush Twice a Day. Both flossing and brushing will prevent plaque and food buildup, helping to keep your gums nice and healthy.
- Therapeutic mouthwash. Using an antibacterial mouthwash will help reduce plaque and gingivitis.
- Fluoride toothpaste. Use fluoride toothpaste, which will keep your gums looking fresh and reduce plaque.
- Do not smoke. Smoking is associated with the onset of gum disease as it weakens your immune system. Keep your body in grade-A shape by avoiding this habit altogether.
- Get regular checkups and cleanings! Nothing can replace getting your teeth cleaned regularly by a professional, as well as getting a regular checkup to prevent gum disease at the beginning, before gingivitis turns into periodontitis. If you have a family history of gum disease, regular checkups are especially important and may need to be more frequent, as gum disease can be genetic. Come into Water Tower Dental Care today to get started!